Forum

Is it possible to model bi-directional lamina in ABAQUS?

1. Danish Handa

Is it possible to model bi-directional lamina in ABAQUS SWIFTCOMP GUI. If possible then how? Please let me know. I had tried a lot but was not successful. I was able to simulate unidirectional as it is a simple process. However, I am unable to generate a bidirectional composite. Please help me with the same. Thank you

2. Wenbin Yu

Can you show a picture of what your bidirectional composite look like? Is it a woven composite?

3. Danish Handa

Yes Sir, it is a woven composite. I am trying but I am unable to model it. I have attached the picture. Thank you.

1-kevlar.jpg

4. Xin Liu

If you want to compute the effective properties of your woven model, you can use TexGen4SC https://cdmhub.org/tools/texgen4sc . You can find some video tutorials in the abstract page.

5. Danish Handa

Thank you so much for your support. I will try and let you know whether I was able to do or not. Thank you sir.

6. Danish Handa

Respected Sir, I have modeled the composite material in TEXGEN and I got the .inp file which I am able to open in ABAQUS. However, I am unable to run the simulation in ABAQUS as it is giving lot of errors. I have removed all the boundary conditions and all the loads, after that also I am getting many errors. I am applied load on one end and other end I am keeping it as fixed. Please help me how to simulate as I have tried over 20 times but was not able to resolve the error. Thank you

7. Xin Liu

Can you tell us what do you want for your model? Do you want to use SwiftComp to perform constitutive modeling? If you want to do constitutive modeling, you don't need to add load and BCs yourself. Just follow the video link above, you can get homogenized material properties or plate/beam stiffness matrix. 

8. Danish Handa

Sir, I want to do machining operation on a bidirectional composite. I have already done in the unidirectional lamina. I was unable to create a bi-directional lamina in ABAQUS. However, in TEXGEN I am able to make a bidirectional lamina. Now while simulating the .inp file from which I got it from Texgen, in abaqus I am not able to run it. A lot of errors are coming.