Forum

Swift Comp Run error

1. Vivek Dhimole

Respected Sir,

I run the homogenization in swift comp in CDM hub account but got the failure output result error, I used 2D SG with yarn and matrix, I took yarn as an orthotropic material and matrix as an isotropic material.

But after the geometry and meshing when I am running the file the output result error is coming.

Please help me with that problem, 

Can we also calculate stress behavior with respect to strain under pure shear and tension in that GMSH4SC LAUNCH TOOL

thank you in advance!

sincerely

SC-Error.PNG

2. Xin Liu

Hi Vivek,

I just test this model and it works well. I am not sure where the error comes from. The general procedure for this model is:

1. Create a file with a new name (e.g. mode.geo).

2. Define material properties.

3. Select Common SG, and assign material to fiber and matrix.

4. Go to 2D mesh, select Generate.

5. Go to Homogenization, and select solid model->save->run.

Now you should see the effective properties pop up in a text file. Please use the manual in the supporting document (https://cdmhub.org/resources/scstandard/supportingdocs) as a reference.

If you want to see the local displacement/stress/strain, select Dehomogenization->Solid model and input the macroscale displacement/strain (based on your pure shear and tension tests). Then, the tool will give you the contour plots for displacements/strains/stresses. Again, you should find the necessary information in the manual.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best

Xin

3. Vivek Dhimole

Thank you sir, I tested again now it worked.

4. Vivek Dhimole

Dear Sir,

I am trying to make Woven fiber in Tex-Gen I have attached figure file also.

How can I make a woven composite for particular dimension like if I want to make 200*200*4(l*w*h) then is there any option to give dimensions for the model.

Thank you!

Texgen.PNG

5. Xin Liu

Hi Vivek,

You can assign yarn width, thickness and spacing by clicking "Weave" on the left panel in your attached figure. Please refer to texgen4sc manual at (https://cdmhub.org/resources/texgen4sc/supportingdocs) and texgen manual at (http://texgen.sourceforge.net/index.php/Documentation).

6. Vivek Dhimole

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Ok, so the meaning from there is spacing is the length , yarn width is the width and thickness is the thickness of the cross-section and these are in a which dimension is its meter. actually, when weave modeled it showed 1.5(length and width same) in the above-attached figure also it is showing so it is by default.

Thank you!

7. Xin Liu

Hi Vivek,

The spacing is the distance between the centers of the two warp or weft yarns, and the thickness is the thickness of the model. The dimension is not specified, but should be consistent with the units of materiel properties. I would recommend you to use mm/MPa. The length of the weave model in your figure is 2. Note that the coordinate is from -0.5 to 1.5.

8. Vivek Dhimole

Dear sir,

Ok, Then I tried again for making it 400 mm long and 400 mm wide, through no of yarns.

but I reached only 15 mm with 15 warp and 15 weft yarnS so if I have to make it 400 mm long then it has to be 400 yarn with 1 mm spacing like that it will be modeled.

and for width if I give 0.5 then it will be 200 mm wide like that is it right.

Texgen.PNG

9. Xin Liu

Hi Vivek,

I don't understand what model are you going to build. If you want to create a specific dimensions in your model, you need to calculate number of yarns in each direction based on yarn geometries, or calculate yarn geometries based on number of yarns in each direction.

For example, I want to create a 2mm by 2mm by 0.2mm model, and I know I have two warp yarns and two weft yarns. Then, I can compute the spacing is 2mm/2=1mm. Now I want the gap between each yarn is 0.2 mm, then the yarn width should be spacing-0.2=1-0.2=0.8 mm. Since there are two yarns interlaced and the thickness of the model is 0.2mm, the thickness of each yarn is 0.2mm/2=0.1mm (Do not need to specific this as the model thickness is already defined). The model using the above parameters are attached.

For more information, please read the user manual of texgen at (http://texgen.sourceforge.net/index.php/User_Guide#Create_2D_Weave).

Selection-232.png

10. Vivek Dhimole

Dear sir,

Thank you for your warm reply.

Now if I am making 200*200*4.76 mm block then I have to choose warp and weft each 200, spacing 200/200=1, then if I want width between two yarn's is 0.2 then width is 0.8,

and thickness if I put 4.76 directly as a fiber thickness value then each yarn will have 4.76/2 mm( because there is only one layer). 

But sir now the problem is Tex Gen going to stuck if I am putting a high value of the dimension(like 200,200 for warp and weft).

Now is there any way to model this 200*200*4.76 mm block.

With regards

11. Xin Liu

TexGen is designed to generate the unit cell for a textile composites instead of a entire textile composite structures. In general, we will use a multiscale modeling approach to perform structural analysis. We have several papers published in this regard. Can you give more information about the problem you are solving?

12. Wenbin Yu

Please do some reading. Read our papers, try to follow the paper to reproduce the results before asking questions. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu

13. Vivek Dhimole

Dear sir,

I have to do a simple impact on woven fabric (size 200*200*4.76) block.

Ok, so in a multi-scale approach for macroscopic analysis, there will be normal rectangle block with desired dimensions with above calculated homogenize properties(in Texgen on unit cell model).

May you please suggest your one of good paper for this case.

Thank you

14. Vivek Dhimole

Dear sir,

May you suggest one of your good paper for the same (impact on the woven fabric or any structural analysis of woven fabric).

Thank you

15. Xin Liu

Using shell elements to perform structural analysis may be a good idea. Please refer to the paper "Rouf, K., Liu, X. and Yu, W., 2018. Multiscale structural analysis of textile composites using mechanics of structure genome. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 136, pp.89-102." to see how to analyze thin textile composite structures using a multiscale modeling approach.

16. negin rostami

hi

the texgen is a very wonderful and powerful software to create woven composite with   related elements and its  orientation. and it will be more than just getting effective material properties if i just  can import it to abaqus. so i hope that you help me with this so i can be able to use the elements and  it;s orientation to make a model in abaqus and do differents analysis. 

thanks

17. Xin Liu

You can export textile composites model to a INP file and import to Abaqus. Please refer to the link (http://texgen.sourceforge.net/index.php/Extraction_of_Material_Properties_using_Voxel_Meshing_and_Abaqus) for more details.

18. negin rostami

hi mr xin liu.

thabks for your answer. but when i use this way to import the texgen files to abaqus , it wont be any model part ,assembly  or mesh in abaqus software. because i just can import the odb file and the visualization modulus will be active . and so i cant use the model in other modulus of abaqus software. is there any way to import this model as mesh or assembly ? 

19. Xin Liu

Abaqus can import the inp file as a model. In your case, you can export the inp file from texgen (you will also get two other files), then you need to copy all the three files to Abaqus working directory. Open Abaqus and choose file->import->model and select inp file by changing the file filter. If you want to get familiar with Abaqus, the official Abaqus documents will be a good start.