Forum

Is it possible to combine SG and VAPAS to obtain the complete stiffness matrix for a Reissner-Mindlin plate model ?

1. LIU LIU

Dear everyone:

The Z-pin plate model is given as follows, which is a typical 3D SG model. We would like to treat it as a Reissner-Mindlin plate due to the moderate thickness. It looks difficult to prepare SwiftComp input files without GUI. I wonder if it is ok to obtain the effective constitutive model for the core and substitute the calculated effective constitutive model into VAPAS to obtain the global stiffness matrix for the Reissner-Mindlin plate, including the G part of the matrix. I wonder if there is Abaqus-GUI toolkit to develop a general 3D SG model ? Or is there any better solution to obtain the complete effective stiffness for structural dynamics analysis ?

By the way, I am not in Prof. Yu's group now.  I am applying to join in again.

Best regards

Liu  

------------1.png

2. Wenbin Yu

It is our plan to have it implemented in a future release of SwiftComp. 

3. LIU LIU

Dear Professor Yu,

I tried to carry out homogenization analysis under two different assumptions, one is the classical 2D shell model, the other is shear refined 2D shell model, the results are identical. It means in order to obtain the global stiffness matrix for the Reissner-Mindlin plate, I need to carry out 3D solid homogenization analysis and obtain the approximated orthotropic engineering constants.  Then I need to construct a VAPAS model using the engineering constants to obtain the global stiffness matrix for the Reissner-Mindlin plate including the G part of the matrix. Is it applicable roadmap to solve the issue.

4. Anonymous

It works if the microstructure has a scale much smaller (say 5-10 times) than the thickness. Otherwise, these two scales must be considered together which will be available in a new version of SwiftComp. 

5. LIU LIU

Thanks a lot for your replying. However, I am not clear about the scale effect. What did you mean by the microstructure scale? For instance, the research objective is a corrugated sandwich structure. The thickness of the plate is given, but I am not sure which size can be considered as the microstructure scale for the corrugated sandwich. The microstructure scale has to be smaller than the thickness. Besides, how to consider these two scales together. I am looking forward to trying the new version of SwiftComp.