Forum

ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI is available

1. Abdalla M. A. Ahmed

Hello,

I'm pleased to be with you in this respected group.

I'm Abdalla. I'm a PhD student at Materials Science and Engineering Dept. - Egypt-Japan University of Science and Technology.

Many thanks to Prof. Yu, who accepted me to be a member in this group.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem:

I'm trying to determine the effective mechanical properties of the attached microstructure. It is published previously in a paper. I'm trying to reproduce the results again. I tried the PBCs stated in the paper and many other PBCs, but I have not reached the desired results yet. Prof. Yu advised me on the ResearchGate to try to homogenize the microstructure using the " Mechanics of Structure Genome" concept.

I downloaded "Abaqus_SwiftComp_GUI_v1.2".

Questions:

1. Does this software focus only on the centered sphere with/out interface? If I want to use my own microstructure, is this available?
    2. In case of yes, how can I homogenize my microstructure? I understood that only what I should do, is to create the microstructure part, then assign the materials, then mesh the microstructure, then homogenize or what? and am I true?

Thanks much in advance for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Abdalla M. A. Ahmed

Microstructure

2. Bo Peng

You can use whatever microstructure you want. Your are right about the procedures of using your own microstructure: create the microstructure part, then assign the materials, then mesh the microstructure (on Part,not on instance), then do homogenization. You can follow the steps in Chapter 3 of the Manual.

Regarding to your microstructure, it is not reasonable to apply periodic boundary condition although Swiftcomp code will not stop you from doing it. If I am right, it is a particle reinforced unit cell, but you use only a quarter of it. The geometry you showed in the image is not the structure genome and periodic boundary condition should not be used.

You should be aware of that the fidelity of the results you get depending on your choice of the structure genome, in a similar manner of choosing unit cell, RVE in other micromechanics theory.

Best regards!

3. Wenbin Yu

Yes according to MSG, SwiftComp requires you to use the complete Structure Genome, the fundamental building block of your structure or material.

4. Abdalla M. A. Ahmed

Thank you very much for your help.

The microstructure that I've attached is a 1/8 of a single-cube distribution.

Please, what are the conditions for a structure genome to be complete. Where can I read about this issue?

Thanks much.

5. Wenbin Yu

Please refer to the presentation at https://cdmhub.org/resources/1132 and the paper at https://cdmhub.org/resources/1102.

6. Wenbin Yu

Defining structure genome as the complete unit cell gets rid of the difficulty in dealing with boundary conditions.

7. Abdalla M. A. Ahmed

I already made the SG geometry, assigned materials, and meshed the part.

I clicked the homogenization button, but after the computation of SwiftComp™ has finished, the effective properties didn't pop up automatically.

Moreover, an input file appears, but when I click dehomogenization, the attached image appears.

Please, what's wrong with this procedure?

08-Aug-16_3-21-11_AM.jpg

8. Bo Peng

Homogenization should be finished before Dehomogenization. 

You can look at the black command window to check why the homogenization is not succeed. It is possible that 1. no license in the work directory; 2, some of the elements are missing material section assignment.

9. Bo Peng

Homogenization should be finished before Dehomogenization. 

You can look at the black command window to check why the homogenization is not succeed. It is possible that 1. no license in the work directory; 2, some of the elements are missing material section assignment.

10. Wenbin Yu

Most possibly you have not requested SwiftComp and install it properly. As mentioned in the GUI download: Please be advised that what you download is the GUI only, you have to request SwiftComp from Allan Wood (allanwood@analyswift.com/" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 12.8px; line-height: 20.48px; vertical-align: baseline;" rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener noreferrer noopener noreferrer noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" >allanwood@analyswift.com), CEO of AnalySwift LL for performing the analysis.

11. Wenbin Yu

Please ask Mr. Allan Wood directly. Usually you can try it for one month before you decided to buy it.

Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  12. Muhammad Ziaur Rahman

Hello,

I am using Abaqus SwiftComp GUI and Swiftcomp executables for my research purpose. This facilities have been super helpful till now and I am really grateful to Dr. Yu, Mrs. Bo Peng and the group behind it's development.

Currently I am calculating elastic properties of composites using SwiftComp. I know it is also possible to get stresss and strain contours using this software. I was wondering if it is possible to find elongation at break  of a composite material using SwiftComp. Any guidance regarding this would highly be appreciated. 

Just a quick feedback-- I think SwiftComp works better if Structured Mesh is used instead of Free Mesh . 

Thanks in advance.

(I am so sorry for multiple post with the same inquiry. I was trying to post this question for the last few days. But unfortunately I was not being able to do so. Recently I contacted with the technical team and I think they have fixed the problem today. But now all my tries have been posted at a time. Please disregard the repeated questions. I will request the technical team to remove the redundant questions. My sincere apology for the mistake)

13. Wenbin Yu

I am not sure what you are asking elongation at break.

Are you asking the strength of composites in terms of tensile strain? 

14. Muhammad Ziaur Rahman

Yes sir, I was looking for strength of composites in terms of strain. Also I was trying to find out ultimate strength of the composite. For clarity, I have attached a picture here. In the picture I am looking for Point A & B. 

Thanks in advance! 

800px-Stress-Strain-Ductile-Material.png

15. Wenbin Yu

We are adding this capability into SwiftComp, which will be released soon.

16. Anonymous

Hello, Good day

I am currently using Abaqus - SwiftComp GUI and SwiftComp executables for my research. By the way, I have applied a strain value of 0.1% in 1- direction in the following RVE. That is I have applied e11 = 0.001. Maximum normal stress (SN11) should be within the two fibers, which I am getting here. Now if I look for the maximum stress in the matrix, I am getting it in the boundary. But I was expecting it between two fibers (showed in the figure). 

Could you please help me figure out why I am getting the maximum stress in the boundary instead of in between two fibers? 

Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

17. Wenbin Yu

Please assemble a few of RVEs together to help you visualize. This way, you can put the so-called "boundary" into the right location in a overall material. Can you tell me why you think max stress of matrix should be happened within the fibers. 

18. Anonymous

Hello,

I am trying to draw 1D composite layup and then find homogenized elastic properties. I am following exactly the same steps described in the manual. But I am getting error message saying "global name setYZview is not defined". Could you please help me out? I have added a PDF file here describing the procedure I am following. 

Thank you in advance 

19. Bo Peng

Hi, you can just neglect it by close this pop up window at this time. Later I will update the GUI and repair this problem.

Best regards.

Bo