Forum

About the PreVABS nose filling: How to model the nose filling and foam simultaneously?

1. Byeonguk Im

Hi, I am using PreVABS 0.5 to model an airfoil section. 

Here is one problem. 

Using two nose filling commands with different baselines result in overlapping meshes.. 

The cross-sectional property analysis does not give any error. However, when it comes to the recovery utility, the analysis fails. 

Therefore, I have tried using the 'web segment' command to build nose fillings and the 'nose filling' command to make foam area. 

However, the filling command just creates meshes on the nose-web mesh. 

My guess is that the mesh generator of PreVABS 0.5 just makes nose fillings based on the designated baseline under the assumption of which

does not have any nearby web baseline on its left.

(The airfoil leading edge is on left, and the situation is same for the opposite. The command " fillside='right' " is meaningless.)

Also, if I would like to use an anisotropic material in the nose fill, I wonder if the filling command uses the zero degree lamina configuration. 

Best regards,

Byeong-uk Im.

2. Su Tian

Hello Byeong-uk Im,

Currently the nose-filling functionality deals with the simplest case as shown in the manual. I noticed that you have tried to use 'web' at the tip and then 'nose-filling' after that and it did not work. A possible work-around is to use 'nose-filling' first in the standard way, and create another 'web' after that as the form area with a gap between them.

As for the anisotropic material, you are correct. The orientation of the material axis 1 will be zero (same as the global axis 1). However, each element of the filling will be assigned a coordinate transformation according to the orientation of the baseline. Hence, the material axis 2 will be aligned with the baseline, instead of the global axis 2.

The 'fillside' issue will be fixed in the next update.

Su

3. Byeonguk Im

Dear Su, 

Thank you for your kind explanation. 

Byeong-uk Im.