Support Options

Report a problem

About you
About the problem
Close

Forum

Periodic Boundary Conditions

1. pedro carneiro

I am trying to implement periodic boundary in a 3D RVE using dummy_nodes. My goal is found the coefficients of the elastic tensor, I am successfully getting the values for the coefficients C11, C22, C33, C44, C55 and C66. I perform three independent simulations 3 axial loadings and 3 shear loadings. For example, for the axial loading in x-direction, I impose a displacement in the direction x in the dummy_node_x that represents the average strain divided to the RVE length. After find the average stress with the strain energy relation (U=0.5*V*average_strain(x)*average_stress(x)) I obtain the C11 value.
    However, I am not seen how can I found the value of the coefficient C12 that should be equal to average_stress_x divided to the averge_strain_y. But i am not able to find the value of the average_strain_y using the dummy_node_x degrees of freedom.

Reply Report abuse

Replying to pedro carneiro

1. Ernesto Camarena

Did you get your problem resolved? Is there a reason you want to find the properties by using a strain energy relation? You should be able to find the effective stiffness as described in the attachment from Dr. Yu’s book. Let me know what you think.

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Ernesto Camarena