CdmHub will be intermittently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance the afternoon of Thursday, July 9, 2020. The maintenance work will end all tool sessions and there will be some downtime of other features during the maintenance period. Please plan accordingly and we do apologize for any inconvenience. close

Close

Forum

Effective stiffness tensor and compliance tensor

1. Luis Sanchez

Hi, everyone

I'm trying to compare the full stiffness tensor and compliance tensor obtained by MSG with the effective stiffness and compliance tensor obtained by RVE analysis using periodic boundary conditions. 

SwiftComp give  both the tensors when the homogenization is done. However, how can I obtain these tensors for the analysis with homogenization with periodic boundary conditions ? 

I applied separately the six strain cases shown in the attached image. 

Thanks for your help.

strain cases

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Luis Sanchez

1. Wenbin Yu

After obtaining a unit strain, computing the average of the six stress components, the values corresponding to a column in the stiffness matrix (\epsilon11=1, for first column, etc.). If you use Abaqus, it has an RVE plugin for you to use. If you use Ansys, it has Material Designer. All implements standard RVE analysis. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Wenbin Yu