Close

Forum

PreVABS 1.4.3 Released

1. Su Tian

PreVABS 1.4.3 is now available at cdmHUB - The Composites HUB - Resources: PreVABS: About.

(For VABS 4.0 and SwiftComp 2.1)

Changes of this update:

• Fixed the issue of plotting element stress and strain results.
    • Fixed the issue of plotting dehomogenization results with quadratic elements.
    • Added groups for different stress and strain plots.
    • Added alternative tag names for material strength properties.
    • Added visualization for initial failure analysis results.
    • Added a new example for initial failure analysis (ex_uh60a_f).
    • Simplified and unified material strength inputs for different types of materials.
    • Updated the section of material strength property input in the documentation.

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Su Tian

1. Kevin Wang

Thanks Su!

Can you confirm what results we should be seeing with the example file ex_uh60a_f?

I'm getting a max failure index of 1.1276066E+009 and a min strength ratio of 2.9779760E-005 at element 14081.

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Kevin Wang

1. Su Tian

Kevin,

There was a small issue in the code. I have fixed it. Please download and try it again. Thank you.

Report abuse

2. Kevin Wang

Hey Su,

Thanks! I downloaded the latest version and gave it a try

-d -e -v first, results look reasonable

-fi -e -v second, .fi file looks reasonable.  Min strength ratio of 0.814 @ element 18252 with a corresponding failure index of 1.492

Visualization of the strength ratio looks correct, however the failure index looks similar to what Dana saw below.  The .fi file has all the failure indices populated for each element, so looks to purely be a plotting error?

Let me know if you run into the same issue

Report abuse

3. Su Tian

Kevin,

Yes. This is just a plot setting issue. I just fixed it. You can download and try it again.

Report abuse

4. Kevin Wang

Awesome, looks like that fixed it!

Thanks

Report abuse

2. Wenbin Yu

Looks unrealistic to me. Su, you might want to create a more realistic example instead. 

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Wenbin Yu

3. Dana Frye

Hey Su, 

Thanks for all the help here. I had a couple questions. I downloaded prevabs 1.4.3 after your message above to re-download. I ran the uh60a example, first prevabs –i uh60a.xml -h -e -v, then prevabs –i uh60a.xml -d -fi -e -v.

For the second dehomogenization / failure index run, all the stress and strain plots, both material and global, as well as the failure index plot, appear blank (see figure).

Note that the strength ratio plot is not blank, and looks more reasonable (fringe scale from 0.814 to 8.14).

Thanks, 

Dana

uh60a-d-fi.png

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Dana Frye

1. Su Tian

Dana,

At this moment, the code does not support calling '-d' and '-fi' using a single command. You need to run them separately. This feature may require updates from both VABS and PreVABS in the future.

Report abuse

4. Dana Frye

Hey ya'll, 

So I just downloaded the latest version, and even when running '-d' and '-fi' seperately, I am still seeing blank plots for stress, strain, displacement, and failure index. I do see the strength ratio plot. Any ideas? I see the latest version solved the problem for Kevin. 

Cancel Report abuse

Replying to Dana Frye

1. Dana Frye

Here's what I mean by blank plots

xiLrZFJAxx.png

Report abuse

2. Kevin Wang

If you open your .msh file, does it populate with numbers?  I've uploaded mine if you wanted to do a quick comparison

Edit: sorry it looks like the file wasn't part of the approved extensions.  I've zipped it to circumvent the rule

Report abuse

5. Dana Frye

Hmm yeah something odd is going on. When I open your .msh file, it also comes in blank. Do you mind uploading a screenshot of what you see in gmsh?

hN7BlnAXpG.png

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Dana Frye

1. Kevin Wang

Sorry this fell off my radar.  Attached is what I see.

uh60a-local-case-1.png

Report abuse

2. Dana Frye

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated. I got it sorted with Su's help, it was a plotting setting that was stored on my PC for gmsh that was the cause. 

Report abuse