• Discoverability Visible
  • Join Policy Restricted
  • Created 11 Aug 2017

HW2 Q3.19(4)

1. Lohit Gudivada

Shouldn't this problem specify some boundary conditions as well in order for us to solve for the constants?

Report abuse

2. Fei Tao

Hi Lohit,

I tried to solve this problem with the Euler-Lagrange equation with multiple functions. Then the two differential equations I got from the E-L equation lead y(x) = z(x) =0. Therefore, We do not need boundary conditions to solve this problem. I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you get more questions.

Best,

Fei Tao

Report abuse

3. Imad Hanhan

Fei,

Can you explain more how you got y(x)=z(x)=0?

When I use the E-L equations for multiple functions (bottom of page 103) I get the following system of equations:

2z-4y-2y''=0    ,    2y+2z''=0

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Imad

Report abuse

4. Akanksha Parmar

Hi Imad,

I got the same expression as yours.

Report abuse

5. Fei Tao

Hi,

I made a mistake in my code. Sorry about the confusion. I got the same expression as yours. Yes. We need four BCs to solve for the exact function. I used Mathematica to get the general solution of the system of differential equations. Attached is the result.

Best,

Fei

Capture.PNG

Report abuse

6. Akanksha Parmar

Also, Fei, your expression for 3.10 should have y'^2 and not just y'. Can you please check and let me know? Otherwise, I will have to do it again.

Thanks,

Akanksha

Report abuse

7. Fei Tao

Hi Akanksha,

The attached picture used Samel's expression. I tried to use Mathematica to do this problem. However, it does not working very well. The general solution of y(x) is not very good. Attached is the expression I got from Mathematica. 

Instead, I solved it by hand. The link below can give you enough info on how to solve it. 

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1834585/curve-enclosing-the-maximum-area

Let me know if you have more quesitons.

Best,

Fei 

Capture-1.PNG

Report abuse

8. Kunal Samel

I just replied to the discussion on 3.10, i think i have the same answer.

with regard to 3.19(4), what can we conclude about the highlighted terms?

690hw.JPG

Report abuse