• Discoverability Visible
  • Join Policy Restricted
  • Created 11 Aug 2017

Boundary effect at X=L/10

1. Fei Tao

Dear Prof. Yu,

I have done the comparison of the axial stress between Swiftcomp and DNS at X = L/10. However, the result shows Swfitcomp and DNS get almost the same result. The errors are within 1%. I can not observe the boundary effect. I have attached a figure to show the comparison. I also tried to compare the axial stress at X = L/100. I observed the boundary effect at that X.

Therefore, should we change the problem to compare the axial stress at a smaller X?

Thank you for your time!

Fei

x100.PNG

Report abuse

2. Kunal Samel

Hi Fei! 

how did u extract the data from ABAQUS? If I use a node path I am getting some difference between the SwiftComp and DNS results but I see the values on the contours, they are exactly the same.

also how many elements did your model have?

thanks

Kunal

Report abuse

3. Fei Tao

Hi Samel, 

I used 4 elements for each layer. The total number of nodes are 2262897. 

When you use the path to plot your result, did you choose the model type as undeformed? I have attached what I choose in Abaqus for your consideration. 

For the S11 at X=L/10, is your maximum value from Swiftcomp is about 27.2 MPa?

Best,

Fei

xydata.PNG

Report abuse

4. Kunal Samel

thanks for your reply Fei, yes my max value from swiftcomp is 27.2MPa.

I have also chosen undeformed in abaqus. Which method did u use to model the layers?

I entered orthotropic engineering constants and assigned two different material coordinate systems to the top and bottom layers. Did you do this differently?

thanks

Kunal

Report abuse

5. Fei Tao

I think I find your problem. In your method, what you get is the stress in the material coordinate. You can have a try to transform your stress into the global coordinate.

What I did was, I transformed the material from its material coordinate into the global coordinate first. what I got was a monoclinic material. Then, I used anisotropic material in Abaqus. In this method, the stress I get is under the global coordinate.

Report abuse

6. Kunal Samel

thanks! I will attempt it with the anisotropic material tomorrow.

Report abuse

7. Fei Tao

You are welcome! Let me know if you have any problem or get any difference. 

Report abuse

8. Wenbin Yu

You and others are welcome to exam at some place closer to the boundary such as 0.01 L. However, it is not a requirement. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu

Report abuse

9. Fei Tao

Dear Prof. Yu,

Thank you for the clarification.

Best,

Fei

Report abuse

10. Kunal Samel

thanks Fei! I think u were right, I used pre-rotated stiffness matrices and I got a match with the Swiftcomp results

Report abuse

11. Fei Tao

You are welcome! I am glad that helped. On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 13:57 Kunal Samel @ cdmHUB - The Composites HUB < support@cdmhub.org> wrote: ---- Emailed forum response from cntaofei@gmail.com

Report abuse