- What is the difference between public, restricted, and private groups?
- How do I make a public group private? And vice-versa?
- How are groups managed?
- Who can see resources/wiki pages/discussions in a group?
- How do I leave a group?
- How do I delete a group?
Public groups are listed around the site (searches, etc.) and viewable by anyone.
Restricted groups are discoverable (searches, etc.) and viewable by registered users only.
There are three types of public groups: anyone can join and automatically is a member, restricted (anyone can request membership but must be approved by a manager), and invitation only. Group administrators can choose to show or hide resources, wiki pages, and discussion topics at any time.
Private groups are not listed anywhere on the site. You can join them only by invitation.
If you are a manager of the group, go to your Groups page and select the group. Select "Edit Group Settings" below the group profile picture. Go to Privacy Settings toward the bottom. Click "Hidden" and save.
Instructions are the same for making a private group public except click "visible" under the privacy settings section.
When you create a group, you are automatically made its first manager. As manager, you can also promote members to help you run the group.
A group manager can:
- Create group participation rules
- Promote/demote members and approve/deny membership requests.
- Modify information about the group
- Create or change the group name
- Create or change the group description
- Associate the group with an external URL
- Determine whether or not your group wiki pages, resources, and discussion topics can be viewed by non-members.
- Moderate group discussions
There's no upper limit on the number of managers a group can have, but a group must have at least one manager at all times.
You can read about keeping your group happy on the Tips for Running Your Group page.
Go to your Groups tab on your members page and select the group you'd like to leave. On the right-hand side, there's a link labelled 'cancel'. Click this and you'll be taken to a page where you can leave the group.
Go to the Groups page and search or browse for the group you'd like to leave. On the right-hand side, there's a link labelled 'cancel'. Click this and you'll be taken to a page where you can leave the group.
The only way to delete a group is to leave the group as the last remaining member. But you can quit the group (described above).
A group can't be deleted if it has more than one member.
Return to the main groups page.