Forum

Mechanical characterization of a wind turbine blade

1. Malak Yaaqoubi

Dear professor,

I'm actually working on my last semester design project. We are dealing with a small wind turbine made of e-glass and epoxy composite and would like to retrieve mechanical characterization data such as density, Young Modulus on X,Y, and Z directions, Poisson Ratio, and Shear Modulus along XY, XZ, and YZ directions. However, I noticed according to the VABS manual and some VABS input file that these data needed to be given and not retrieved from VABS.  

I wonder if it's right or did I misinterpret the manual and the input file information.

Best regards,

2. Wenbin Yu

VABS takes lamina constants for your composite plies and output blade properties for engineering beam models in terms of torsional stiffness, shear center, etc. If you want to obtain lamina constants in terms of fiber and matrix properties, you need to use SwiftComp instead. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  3. Su Tian

Hello Malak,

Do you mean that you have material properties of E-glass and epoxy, and want to retrieve material properties of the composites, OR you have the material properties of the composites and want to retrieve the stiffness of the wind blade? VABS can only do the latter one.

4. Malak Yaaqoubi

We figured it out through SwiftComp, I now need a clarification about the classical flexibility matrix. In the user manual, we find a formula (attached in the screenshot) that relates that matrix to a vector F1,M1,M2,M3. What do these measures relate to ? 

Also, there are several matrix definition for the classical flexibility matrix, which formula does VABS rely on to output the matrix in the .k file ?

Capture.PNG

5. Malak Yaaqoubi

We figured it out through SwiftComp, I now need a clarification about the classical flexibility matrix. In the user manual, we find a formula (attached in the screenshot) that relates that matrix to a vector F1,M1,M2,M3. What do these measures relate to ? 

Also, there are several matrix definitions for the classical flexibility matrix, which formula does VABS rely on to output the matrix in the .k file ?

Capture.PNG

6. Wenbin Yu

Please read the paper to understand the formula and theory behind it: https://cdmhub.org/resources/1217 ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu