Forum

What we have learned from ASC 2017

1. Wenbin Yu

This thread is set up for us to discuss what we have learned from the conference we just have attended. You are welcome to share any thoughts. 

2. Anonymous

Suggestion:

Attract more researchers from international groups.

Attract undergrads by offering scholarships.

3. Ning Liu

Initially it has buckling session, but eventually it is canceled, I am surprised, I think it might be because buckling problem is not unique to composite, therefore research topics regarding buckling analysis on composite might not be as appealing as damage and fatigue to the composite society, hence very few or none papers or research work is carried out in this topic. I would like to hear what other peopele’s opinion on this.

4. Ning Liu

And I remember during 2017 AIAA scitech, there are people presenting buckling analysis on honeycomb structures. It is more modeling method based research, less material oriented.

5. Anonymous

It is very important to have a very good estimate of the time when doing the presentation. And there are tricks to answer the questions when we need some time to think about it.

6. Anonymous

It is very important to have a very good estimate of the time when doing the presentation. And there are tricks to answer the questions when we need some time to think about it.

7. Anonymous

Beside the presentation, I found a very useful software, Granta https://www.grantadesign.com/products/ces/, in industry table. I attended their workshop.

The software provides a database for a large amount of materials. You can also select materials by using Ashby chart (This software is developed on the same department of Professor Ashby).

Maybe we can use the software to help us select material for analysis or comparison. 

8. Anonymous

Someone may ask very tough questions for your presentation. If you don’t have answers, don’t feel panic, because panic is not helpful. Maybe a good answer is “I will try to use the way you suggested, and compare with our results and let you know the results.”

9. Anonymous

The conference was a good exposure to topics ,especially the talks on peridynamics and it's application to various fields. 

The conference was also a good insight into structural health monitoring and the use of nanocomposites to do the same.  

I just felt there was very less time for a discussion after each talk. I don't know how others felt about this.

10. Anonymous

Sometimes it is very interesting go to presentations of other topics not so directly related to our research. Got some different inspirations.