Forum

Hello,I'm doing 3 pts bending test on a Composite Tapered...

1. Salim Chaibi

Hello,

I'm doing 3 pts bending test on a Composite Tapered Pipe along the x-abs. (thickness is varying along x-abs)

According to linear beam theory we can get the EI from the deflection ...

But due to the variation of the section and Modulus along the x-abs, I cannot use this.

Therefore, I would like to know if from the Deflection value I can get the experimental EI.

thank you

In attachment you will find the model

model.png

2. Wenbin Yu

Salim, If all you want is the EI, you can run a cross sectional analysis at the both end surfaces and get two EIs, the average value should be an approximation for your experimental EI. Of course, if you provide your precise definition of the experimental EI, we might be able to suggest better methods. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  3. Salim Chaibi

Thank you Doctor Yu,

I've already run VABS to get it.

I have built my model in the software that we have made. It is using VABS-GEBT solver. But there are difference between the

deflection of  our software and the experimental deflection.

So I would like to find in an accurately way the EI from the experimental deflection. 

Can you  give me other way to find it please.

4. Wenbin Yu

If you are comparing the deflection at certain point between experiment and VABS+GEBT. Then it is better to divide your pipe to many stations and carry out a cross-sectional analysis for each statement to get the corresponding EI. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu