Forum

The Aperiodic feature in the Texgen4SC

1. LIU LIU

Dear Liu xin,

For the new feature in the Texgen4SC, there is the  "Aperiodic" option along y1, y2 and y3 direction, which is useful. For instance, for a thin plate, there is no periodic condition along y3 direction, thus the y3 is checked. However what is the boundary condition the cell model along y3 direction once I checked y3 for Aperiodic. Is it free boundary condition? 

Best wishes

Liu

2. Bo Peng

Dear Prof. Liu and Xin,

For 3D solid model, the aperiodic boundary conditions with y3 checked is equivalent to

applying uniform traction boundary conditions on the two surfaces normal to the y3 direction,

while keeping the periodic boundary conditions on the two pairs of surfaces normal to the y1 and y2 directions. 

Best regards,

Bo

3. Xin Liu

Dear Bo,

Thanks a lot for your clarification.

Best

Xin

4. LIU LIU

Dear Bo and Xin,

"applying uniform traction boundary conditions on the two surfaces normal to the y3 direction," I am not very sure that what is "uniform traction" means. I am supposed that it is not "traction free boundary condition", am I correct ?

Liu

5. LIU LIU

Dear Bo and Xin,

With the Texgen4SC, we are trying to compare the effective elastic constants given by the Texgen4SC and 3D FEA. We realized that the results are different. Thus we are trying to figure out the reason for the difference. For the 3D FEA, the traction free boundary condition is applied on the surface perpendicular to the y3 direction.

Best wishes

Liu