Forum

tensile test

1. Béjaoui Ghaith

Hello everyone,

i have some basic questions( sorry if this sounds stupid) because i'm a little confused :

1/what is the difference between dry fibre and  voxel mesch when exporting to abaqus ?is dry fiber for woven fabric analysis and voxel for composite analysis ?

2/if i want to simulate a  tensile test for a woven fabric composite what should i use ?

3/in texgen:the properties of the matrix used with fibre to create the yarns are the same ones for the matrix used with yarns to create the composite ? 

2. Xin Liu

Hi,

All questions are good questions. Please feel free to ask if you have any confusion.

1. You are right about the difference between dry fibre and voxel mesh. Another major difference is that the dry fibre allows to define some kinds of contact between yarns. This is a texgen specific question. You can ask this question through texgen forum (http://texgen.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1) to get better answer from the development team.

2. You should use voxel mesh if it is a woven composites.

3. Yes. This is the common situation in real woven composites.

3. Béjaoui Ghaith

Thank you Sir,

i found it difficult applying Bcs and loads on voxel mesch  ;Many errors with the execution of the job.any help?

4. Xin Liu

You are welcome.

It should not be very difficult to apply BCs and loads with voxel mesh. Once you have abaqus inp file, you can do whatever you want. This is an Abaqus related question. I would suggest you to read the inp file and Abaqus documentation. It should be helpful for debugging your model.

5. Béjaoui Ghaith

Thank you sir ,

i have some other questions:

1/if we use Texgen4sc and extract mesoscale analysis result and for the same exemple we export an inp file and performe the method (Extraction of Material Properties using Voxel Meshing and Abaqus)  from http://texgen.sourceforge.net/  aren't we suppose to find the same results ?(an exemple attached with the post ) 

2/woven composites have an hyperelastic response , but we use the elastic option in the two step homogenization method ,does that effect on results ?

3/if we use the mesoscale analysis of Texgen4sc on a certain exemple and export the values on abaqus property module and  then we perform a  simulation on a beam like structure.will we have a correct result ?

Capture.JPG

6. Xin Liu

You are welcome.

1. Yes. We have done a lot of examples to compare MSG and FE-based RVE analysis. Please refer to this paper "Liu, X., Rouf, K., Peng, B. and Yu, W., 2017. Two-step homogenization of textile composites using mechanics of structure genome. Composite Structures171, pp.252-262.".

2. We don't have hyperelastic option at this point (will add in the future). If you want to perform hyperelastic analysis, the best way is to export an Abaqus model and define all the necessaries in Abauqs.

3. I am not sure abut what is your "correct result". If you want to use beam elements in your structural analysis, you can definitely use TexGen4SC to compute beam stiffness matrix. We have shown that the MSG-based beam modeling has the same accuracy as directly numerical simulations. You can refer to this paper "Rouf, K., Liu, X. and Yu, W., 2018. Multiscale structural analysis of textile composites using mechanics of structure genome. International Journal of Solids and Structures136, pp.89-102.".

7. Béjaoui Ghaith

thank you sir ,

what do you mean in your second answer by  define all the necessaries in Abauqs. ?

8. Xin Liu

The BCs, loading, material models, and others necessaries steps. You should know what you need to do the simulation. Note that texgen will only give you a meshed geometry and you still need to do a lot to complete a finite element model.

9. Béjaoui Ghaith

Hello everyone,

Is there a solution to perform a homogenization analysis on a textile fabric srtucture (only the yarns) with TexGen4SC ?

10. Xin Liu

TexGen4SC does not provide homogenization analysis for dry fabric. This is a very challenge nonlinear problem due to the contact between yarns.  

11. Béjaoui Ghaith

Thank you sir ,

sir , I want to make sure of this process :for high dimension(200*50 for exemple) im getting an error with TexGen4SC.so, is it possible to generate the two step homogenization on a unit cell ,then import the result in abaqus with the swiftcompGUI then creat the composite structure (beam or plate)and perform the global analysis ?

12. Xin Liu

What does the "high dimension" mean?

In general, you can use TexGen4SC to compute the homogenized structural properties (e.g., effective material properties, shell stiffness matrix or beam stiffness matrix). Then, you can define structural elements using the above homogenized structural properties for a structural analysis. I don't know if Abaqus-SC GUI has such a import function. If not, you can easily define material properties and shell stiffness matrix through Abaqus CAE.

13. Béjaoui Ghaith

thx sir ,

couldn't we consider the output of the microscale homogenization as a dry fabric homogenization ?

14. Xin Liu

Dry fabric is only made of fibers.

I'd like to recommend you to read some papers about the simulations of dry fabric to get a better understanding of this material form.