Forum

Tips for using Latex for Writing Papers

1. Wenbin Yu

Having used Latex for many years since my PhD study, it is a good tool for technical paper writing. My practice differs from some group members. Usually, I don’t use pdflatex that much. Instead, I use latex. For pictures, I generate eps files. When you include the figures, then you don’t have to include the extension of the file names. You don’t have to generate pdf file or png etc. for pictures first, that may cause you lose more resolution. Instead, I only have eps files. Latex will generate a dvi file, then you can use dvi2pdf to generate a pdf file. If sometimes dvi2pdf does not work well, you can use dvi2ps, then ps2pdf.

2. Bo Peng

Dear all,

I found a website which can covert various formats of images to other formats, it is free and fast. 

http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-eps

3. Wenbin Yu

If you have adobe professional, which I believe we should be able to get it from ecn if you don't have. You can just copy and paste from any other software created the image and save as eps file. I usually use power point to draw my pictures. Of course, if you use a cad software, the quality of figure should be better and you might be able to directly save as an eps file.

4. Fang Jiang

Dear Dr. Yu,

Thank you very much for opening this discussion. In addition, if anyone has the experience of composing the template (say class/style/font files) of latex, I will appreciate your sharing of it very much. Some of the articles do not provide the  latex template and we need to modify these files by ourselves to fit into their formatting requirements.

Best Regards,

Fang

5. Wenbin Yu

For that, I have a very thick book in my office.

Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  6. Xin Liu

Dear all,

I recently found a trick for overleaf that can let us keep the edit window in the primary screen and preview window on the secondary screen. I think it would be helpful as most of our group members use two screens for their work. Open the same project in two different browser windows, hide the preview in one, and hide the source in the other, the preview in the second window will still update. 

Thanks

7. Banghua Zhao

Dear Xin,

Thanks for your helpful trick! It works perfectly for me. I am wondering if we can zoom out/in the preview window as it would be great if we can view more contents of an paper in the second window. Currently, the only way I know is to zoom out/in the browser. But it only zoom out/in the toolbar without changing the size of the contents.

Thanks

8. Xin Liu

Dear Banghua,

Sorry for my late reply. I don't know how to adjust the size of preview window. It seems to be designed to fit the screen automatically. I rotated the second screen to be vertical so that it will be better for reading paper and coding, but you might take a while to get used to it.

Thanks