Forum

What should we do to improve our group page

1. Wenbin Yu

I am thinking about improving our group page during the Christmas break. Any suggestions? 

2. Xin Liu

Dear Prof. Yu,

I have some ideas about our group page as mentioned in the individual meeting.

I think it is better to add another tag to show the information about the group members in the University, like the "people" tag in some common research group websites. Within this tag, an introduction about your background is usually needed at the beginning, then followed by the students' information like the current research work, and also the thesis title of the previous graduated students can also be listed.

In addition, a tag to introduction our group "Multiscale Structural Mechanics" is also need, which can contain our research interests, vision, mission and other important guidelines you showed us in our group meeting.

Last but not the least, we can add another tag to introduction the software we have developed and add the links to them.

Thanks

Xin

3. Ning Liu

I suggest to put figures and movies at the top of the front page to show our research, to capture people's attention immediately.

4. Ning Liu

I mean animations, not movies

5. Wenbin Yu

Xin and Ning, those are good suggestions. Please provide me your beautiful pictures and animations. And also Xin, I put vision/mission/values to the overview page, do we need to put somewhere else instead?

6. Xin Liu

I noticed they are on the overview page. I think we can add our research interests on the overview too as they are very important for people who want to know us, then we don't need another page to show them.

7. Orzuri Rique

Dear Prof. Yu, 

I think that Xin's and Ning's ideas are really good. I would like to suggest using more actively the "Announcements" tag of the website. We can use this area to announce if someone in the group has defended the thesis, publish a journal paper or receive an award, and link the announcement to the corresponding website. For instance, I think that we can start including your recent Seed of Success Award. 

Happy Holidays!!

Orzuri

8. Wenbin Yu

Orzuri, your suggestion is great. Do you know whether regular group members can opt out of receiving the announcement if they don't like to receive such announcements? I don't want to annoy many other virtual members who are not physically part of the Purdue group. 

9. Banghua Zhao

Dear Prof. Yu,

In additional to Mr. Xin's suggestion about adding the information about group members, I suggest that we also add alumni's information. There are many great alumni from our group in both industry and academic. Their network and position could contribute to our group.

Banghua

10. Orzuri Rique

Dear Prof. Yu, 

I think that all the announcements arrive by default to the group members. However, there is the possibility of not receiving all the posts of the group discussions. Another possibility could be to incorporate this announcement channel in "People" tag suggested by Xin and let the "Announcement" tag for more general announcements that people outside Purdue may want to receive.  

Best regards, 

Orzuri

11. Su Tian

I wish we could have a group database containing all kinds of raw data used in everyone's works. For example we can have a collection of all materials used in simulations, with conversions between frequently used unit systems, and everyone can download a copy of these data in the format of plain text or Abaqus material library or else. Or we can have the information of stacking sequence of different laminates and geometry of all those benchmark examples we have done. The purpose of this database is to let others copy those data without mistake and make it easier for others to redo the simulation and to make comparisons.

12. Wenbin Yu

Yes, we should have all the raw data for each published journal paper shared within our group. 

13. Wenbin Yu

The best way is to share the paper as publication, then upload all the raw data as a zip file in the supporting documents. Xin, if you have time, please upload the support data to https://cdmhub.org/resources/1217. Bo, if you have time, please upload the support data to https://cdmhub.org/resources/1201. This is also a good way for you to backup your important files. 

14. Wenbin Yu

Fang, can you change your two published papers from projects to publications instead? Projects are using for work in progress which allows others to contribute. 

15. Xin Liu

Dear Prof. Yu,

I have uploaded all the data to the link you sent to me. I have one concern that I noticed the access for the material is public, do we need to change the access to group member only? 

Thanks

Xin

16. Wenbin Yu

Yes, it should be restricted to yugroup members only.