Forum

How to make a good technical presentation

1. Wenbin Yu

The importance of a presentation cannot be over emphasized. One the way to the airport with two of my PhD students, we have discussed the basic requirement of a good technical presentation.

1. Focus on the main message you want the audience to remember after your presentation. 
    2. What is your problem?
    3. Why the problem is important?
    4. What has been done about this problem?
    5. What is your approach, why use your approach?
    6. How your approach is different from others?

Being specific, relevant is important. Talking using terminologies most audience will be able to understand. Using videos, pictures, words, equations to express your idea. 

A website with a lot of advices: http://www.cyto.purdue.edu/Education/index.htm

Feel free to add more suggestions. Let us work together to improve our presentation skills. 

2. Orzuri Rique

Dear Prof. Yu, 

Thank you very much for these suggestions and the website. I found them really interesting. In my opinion, one of the most challenging parts of the presentations is gaining and maintaining the engagement of the audience so that you can transmit your message summarized through the six points you mentioned. Previously well prepared technical jokes or formulating open questions to the public may help. Does anyone else have another tricks/suggestions?

Thanks in advance, 

Orzuri