Forum

Question on RVE homogenization on SwiftComp

1. Martin Avila Torrado

Hello,

I am working with homogenization of RVE composed with layers of 2 materials. The joint pictures on the top correspond to a 0 degrees orientation of the middle layer, while the two bottom pictures correspond to an orientation of 5 degrees. The material in green has a Young modulus of 2250 MPa and the one in white 0.61 MPa. Both materials have a Poisson ratio of 0.48 and the volumetric fraction of the white material is 0.1.

After performing an homogenization on the RVE with 0 degrees orientation I found E= 225.54 MPa and E2= 5.81 MPa, which I find completely logic as the values are very close to the corresponding Voigt and Reuss bounds. However, for the RVE with 5 degrees orientation, after homogeinzation I found  E= 0.176 MPa and  E2 = 1.166 MPa, and these results do not seems right.

I am aware than in order to correctly apply PBCs to an RVE the mesh should be regular (matching nodes on each side, which is not the case for the 5deg RVE), but I have read on a couple of forums that SwiftComp is able perform a homogenization analysis even in cases where the mesh is not equal on facing sides of the RVE. Could you please tell me if there is a way of doing an accurate homogenization of my oriented RVEs using this software?

Thank you in advance.

RVEs, orientation 0deg and 5deg

2. Wenbin Yu

Martin, there are several ways to obtain the effective properties of a layered microstructure. You can use 1D SG for 3D model. The transverse normal is the SG, you input each layer's properties, along with layup angles. The results are 3D effective properties. You can also use 1D SG model for 2D model. Again, the transverse normal is the SG, and you will obtain effective in-plane properties, and flexural properties, or corresponding plate stiffness (ABD matrices). If you really want to use a 2D or 3D SG for this problem you are describing, I will let Bo and Ham comment on this since both of them have experiences with this type of SG construction.