Forum

Dear Fang,I am modeling an initially curved beam using online swif...

1. saeid Khadem Moshir

Dear Fang,

I am modeling an initially curved beam using online swift-comp on this website. I have a question that the cross sectional stiffness constants of the beam are not independent of the k1,k2 or k3 (initial twist or curvatures). In the other meaning, I change the k2 but the cross sectional stiffness matrix of the beam does not change. Could anyone let me know what is the reason of this issue?

Thanks

2. Fang Jiang

Dear Saeid,

I think it would be helpful if you could provide your input file of the initially curved beam, which carries information about your model and settings. 

Thanks,
    Fang

3. saeid Khadem Moshir

Dear Fang,

I have attached two stiffness matrices which one of them has k2=0.1 and the other one has k2=0 as well as the input file of the section with k2=2. 

In both of them the stiffness matrix of the section does not change which is strange. (the obtained stiffness constants can be compared with the obtained results of the paper "On Timoshenko-like modeling of initially curved and twisted composite beams") by Prof. Yu and Hodges.

I was wondering if you guide me where is the problem in my modeling. 

Thanks 

4. Fang Jiang

Thanks Saeid!

Could you also share your SwiftComp input file? 

Best Regards,

Fang

5. saeid Khadem Moshir

Dear Fang,

Could you please tell me how can I get the swift comp input file. Because I am using its online version in the cdmhub website. 

Thanks

6. Dhananjay Sriharsha Rao

Dear Fang,

Please refer to the SwiftComp tutorials on cdmhub at https://cdmhub.org/resources/1302 and https://cdmhub.org/resources/1305 for a detailed solution to your question.

Regards

Dhananjay

7. saeid Khadem Moshir

Dear Fang,

I was wondering if you let me know that if you have an example of an modeling of initially curved beam section as tutorial foe me?

Thanks

8. Fang Jiang

Dear Saeid,

My observation of your file "stiffness-matrices-and-input-file.docx" is: when you changed the k2, some of the components in the stiffness matrix indeed changed numerically. 

Unfortunately, I do not have an example of modeling initially curved beam with SwiftComp. Previously, I did some experimental studies on VABS: when I numerically increased the value of the initial curvature, the changes in the resulted stiffness matrix would become larger (more obvious). 

Best,
    Fang

9. Nicholas J Kisseberth

Please disregard this response. We are testing the forum email system for issues related to the posting of this particular topic.