Forum

Average of stress on nodes sharing 2 elements

1. Salim Chaibi

I have a tube  made of composite plies.
    There are 8 plies on my cross section made with [0,45].
    I have made a mesh for each ply with 1 element by ply on the radial axis.
    When I'm opening my VABS stress File <.SN>  I wonder to sum the stress on my nodes to have an average.
    The problem is  when I have Nodes in the interface of 2 elements made by  two differents materials and orientations.
    Is it possible to sum Stress on this nodes even if the material and the orientation are not the same.

If you look to the <.png> I have my node 101 which is sharing 2 elements with 1 element from the ply at 0° et 1 element from the ply at 45°. It's evident that the stress for this node is not the same but can I do an average of it ? 

stress-element.png

2. Wenbin Yu

You should not. You want the average for each ply or the entire section? The reasonable way will be to compute average stress for each element and multiple by the area of each element for the area you want to average. Can you tell me why you want the average? ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  3. Salim Chaibi

My goal is to make a stress plot on each nodes for my cross section. I want to plot stress on each nodes for a given cross section.

I used, <.SN>  file to do this.

4. Wenbin Yu

For physically continuous stresses (the tranverse ones for a laminate), it can be and should be averaged. For physically discontinuous ones (in-plane ones), it does not make sense and they should not be averaged. For curve plots, you should be able to plot the jumps. For contour plots, some tools can take two distinct values, or I suggest you use element values. 

5. Salim Chaibi

thank you Doctor.
    You have told me that there are some tools that can take two distinct values. 
    Can you give me which tools ?