Forum

Composite Beam undergo to Large Deflection

1. Salim Chaibi

Hi,

I want to simulate a 3 points bending for a composite beam which undergoes to large deflection.

In Abaqus I'm doing the same analysis using NonLinear Geometric Formulation.
    I wonder to do the same in VABS-GEBT.

I have read carefully GEBT and VABS documentation but I still have some issues to make it.
    When I have recovered section properties from VABS, I have put it into Gebt.
    To run the gebt analysis, it is written in the Gebt manual that niter is the maximum number of iterations
    for the nonlinear analysis but which nonlinear analysis is it ?

Then, to recover stress/displacement in VABS , Recover flag has to be = 1

VABS will recover the 3D displacement/strain/stress elds within the cross section based on the non-
    linear beam theory.

For a non linear geometric Formulation, what I have to do to run a non linear geometric analysis ?

2. Wenbin Yu

GEBT nonlinear analysis is geometrical nonlinear analysis. You need to run VABS analysis to get the sectional properties, then input to GEBT to run a nonlinear analysis, then use VABS to recover the stress/strains at specific location of your interest. Please remember that VABS recovery has an option for geometrical analysis too. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  3. Salim Chaibi

Thank you 

so to Run a non linear analyses in gebt, I have to put niter > 1 ?

I have run an analysis on vabs-gebt and abaqus, results of displacement and stress were the same.

Now, I Want to run a non linear geometric formulation for both to compare results.

4. Wenbin Yu

I believe you are right, however I cannot remember exactly but it should be stated in the manual. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  5. Salim Chaibi

Thank you doctor Yu,

Have you ever tried to compare stress and displacement results with Non linear geometric formulation between VABS-GEBT and 3D FEA ?

6. Wenbin Yu

I cannot remember. But certainly we compared the global beam deformation in our papers before. -------- Original message -------- From: "Salim Chaibi @ cdmHUB - The Composites HUB" <support@cdmhub.org> Date: 1/3/18 04:15 (GMT-05:00) ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  7. Qi Wang

Salim,

On Page 5 of the GEBT user manual, it states that:

"niter is the maximum number of iterations for the nonlinear analysis. If niter is equal to 1, GEBT will compute results corresponding to a linear theory."

Please read the manual carefully. Also, if the load is small in magnitude, you probably won't see much difference between resutls of linear and nonlinear analysis given its linear nature of the problem.

Qi

8. Salim Chaibi

Thank you for yours answers :

Dr Qi, I know that's it is written in the Gebt manual.

If you read my first post :

<< I have read carefully GEBT and VABS documentation but I still have some issues to make it.
    When I have recovered section properties from VABS, I have put it into Gebt.
    To run the gebt analysis, it is written in the Gebt manual that niter is the maximum number of iterations
    for the nonlinear analysis but which nonlinear analysis is it ?>>