Forum

Shear correction factor

1. Raphael Nardin

Hello, 

I would like to know how VABS deals with shear correction factors, if there are some. I know that in theory, for a bending beam, shear should be parabolic throughout the cross-section. However I don't know if VABS makes the asumption that it is actually constant, and induces a shear correction factor. If it is the case, how is it calculated ? I hope my quation is clear enough. 

Thanks, regards, 

Raphaël

2. Ulrike Kersten

Thank you for your e-mail. Kindly be informed that Ms. Ulrike Kersten is not available until 28th of May 2018. With kind regards, Ulrike Kersten Diplom-Ingenieurin Design&Analysis EUROS Entwicklungsgesellschaft für Windkraftanlagen mbH Falkenberger Straße 146 A/B D-13088 Berlin Phone: +49/30/85 401 09-00 Direct dial: +49/30/85 401 09-220 Fax.: +49/30/85 401 09-29 URL: www.euros.de Registered at Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 61068 Managing directors: Katarzyna Schwarz, Jürgen Simon If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation. ---- Emailed forum response from kersten@euros.de
  3. Ulrike Kersten

Thank you for your e-mail. Kindly be informed that Ms. Ulrike Kersten is not available until 28th of May 2018. With kind regards, Ulrike Kersten Diplom-Ingenieurin Design&Analysis EUROS Entwicklungsgesellschaft für Windkraftanlagen mbH Falkenberger Straße 146 A/B D-13088 Berlin Phone: +49/30/85 401 09-00 Direct dial: +49/30/85 401 09-220 Fax.: +49/30/85 401 09-29 URL: www.euros.de Registered at Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 61068 Managing directors: Katarzyna Schwarz, Jürgen Simon If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation. ---- Emailed forum response from kersten@euros.de
  4. Su Tian

Hi Raphaël,

VABS does not make any assumptions on the distribution forms of stress. And VABS does not use any assumed shear factors based on the cross-sectional geometry, but users can calculate the shear factor after getting the shear stiffness. The following paper may be helpful.

Yu, W. and Hodges, D. H. (2005) ‘Generalized Timoshenko Theory of the Variational Asymptotic Beam Sectional Analysis’, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, 50(1), pp. 46–55. doi: 10.4050/1.3092865.