Forum

ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI is available

1. Wenbin Yu

For those who are ABAQUS users, you can download the ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI from supporting documents of https://cdmhub.org/resources/scstandard. Feel free to make suggestions for improvement.

2. Orzuri Rique

SwiftComp-Abaqus GUI FAQ. Installation Problem

Problem. I have unzipped ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI and saved it in the same folder with SwiftComp and its corresponding working license. Furthermore, the ABAQUS installed in my desktop is working. However, I double click on the ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI and nothing happens.

Solution. This problem may appear because the operating system is not able to run ABAQUS when typing “abaqus cae” in the Command Window. If you are not able to open “abaqus cae” from the Command Window, then:

1. Add ABAQUS command folder to the “Path” of your computer. You may find the Path in Control Panel\System and Security\System -> Advanced Settings -> System variables. Select “Path”, click on “Edit”, add Abaqus Commands folder path (for instance, C:\SIMULIA\Abaqus\Commands) after a semicolon and save it.
    2. Check if the abaqus.bat file is correctly linked to the abqXXX.bat file, where XXX is the ABAQUS version that you are currently using. To do so, go to \SIMULIA\Abaqus\Commands, right click on 'abaqus.bat' file, select “Edit” and check if the name of the correct batch file is selected (please see the attached screenshot). You may edit the abaqus.bat file using Notepad.

Now, you should be able to run ABAQUS from the Command Window and ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI should work when double clicking on it.

Abaqus_batch_file.png

3. Wenbin Yu

The ABAQUS GUI team made a significant update to the SwiftComp GUI which can be downloaded from https://cdmhub.org/resources/1134. The significant updates are the capabilities to create arbitrary cross-sectional shapes and more intuitive tool bars. Thanks due to the ABAQUS GUI team!

4. Wenbin Yu

Two bugs were fixed in the ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI, please download the most recent version. 

5. Anonymous

Hello,

I am using Abaqus-SwiftComp GUI. I have done the following steps using general Abaqus procedures-

1)Drawing the figure

2) Creating material properties

3)Creating section

4)Section assignment

5)Assembly

6)Meshing

Now I want to apply periodic boundary condition (PBC) and calculate homogenized elastic properties using SwiftComp. I can apply PBC from the Abaqus inp file. But isn't it possible to apply PBC by simply clicking on the boundaries, like we do in Gmsh4SC?

Once I apply PBC, I am trying to simply click on link named Homogenization in Abaqus. Then I am getting an error which has been attached below. Could you please help me in this regard? 

Is there any tutorial on Abaqus-SwiftComp GUI?

Thanks in advance!  

Capture.PNG

6. Wenbin Yu

Use ABAQUS-SwiftComp GUI, you don’t have to apply PBC. You just need to create a periodic mesh. That is you need corresponding nodes on corresponding edges. The new release of SwiftComp will even get rid of the periodic mesh requirement.

Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  7. Bo Peng

Hi,

You got this problem usually because you did not mesh on the ‘Part’ but mesh on the ‘instance’. Please try to mesh the ‘Part’ instead of ‘Instance’ in the mesh module.

Best regards!

Emailed forum response from peng69@purdue.edu
  8. Anonymous

Hello Professor Dr. Yu,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. So I need to have same number of nodes on the opposite edges, right? 

Hello Mr. Peng,

Thanks to you too. I have overcome the trouble. By the way, I am still not getting homogenized properties. So far, I have done the following steps in Abaqus--

1) Creating Model  : I have created a simple rectangle

2) Creating Material Properties : I have created material property for steel

3) Section : I have created section

4) Section Assignment : I have assigned section 

5) Assembly : I have created assembly

6) Step : I have created Static step

What should be my next step to get the homogenized properties? 

(I apologize for such a long inquiry. I have gone through the manual, but couldn't figure it out)

Thanks in advance! 

9. Bo Peng

Hi, 

Step (5) Assembly and  (6) Step :Static step are not necessary. To conduct a homogenization you only need a meshed part with material sections assigned.  The next step is to use the Homogenizaiton button, choose your meshed part and conduct homogenization analysis following the instructions in the manual. 

The manual provide guidance mainly through examples which will walk you through the procedures. Try one and you will get it. If you have more questions, I am happy to help you out.

If you need to import the effective properties into Abaqus, please copy and replace the attached file to your file folder where you put the GUI source code.

Best!

Bo

10. Anonymous

Mr Peng,

Thank you so much for being so kind. I have tried some examples given in manual. But I have tried them using Gmsh4Sc gui. I am now pretty good at it. But I have recently started trying to use Abaqus-SwiftComp gui. I am facing a little hurdle with that.

I have just tried again to calculate the homogenized properties. I have not used Assembly and Step of Abaqus this time. I have attached the problem figure here. Like before, a blank notepad is popping up showing no value. In the command window an error message is being showed which is also attached in the figure below. 

Could you please help me in this regard? Thanks in advance! 

Capture.PNG

11. Bo Peng

Hi, 

This warning means that the mesh on the part is not periodic on the boundary, which usually will not happen at such a simple and regular geometry. The only possible reason come to me is:

When creating the geometry of the part, some points are created at the frame of the square. For example, on a square defined by (0,0) and (a,a), two points (a, a/2), (0, a/2+delta) is created, in which delta is very small, for example 1e-6. Since at a point, a node will be placed, the small delta will result in the node  (a, a/2) has no corresponding periodic node. To solve it, you can try to make the geometry better.

If this is not the reason, another way you can try is:

1.First generate half of the part ; 2. make a symmetry of the part;  3. in the Assembly module, merge the two part together to create a new part. Following this way, you can always get a periodic mesh. 

Now we have already have the version of SwifComp which can dealing with this aperiodic situation. But we may need some time to make the new version more capable and then upload the new version to cdmHub. 

In addition,  as pointed in the manual, the duty of Abaqus-SwiftComp GUI is to read the necessary information ( node, element, materials) from part to SwiftComp to do the computation, other settings will be ignored, so the settings in  Assembly and Step of Abaqus will not influence the results.

Best!

Bo

12. Anonymous

Thank you Mr Peng. This is working now. If I face any trouble in future, I would post it in this forum.

Have a nice weekend! 

13. Wenbin Yu

Just for your information, Bo is a lady.

14. Su Tian

Abaqus-SwiftComp GUI version 1.2 is now available.

Updates:

1. Add capability to handle aperiodic mesh;
    2. Add VABS cross-sectional analysis interface for VABS users;
    3. Add capability of doing airfoil cross-sectional creation and analysis through command line (without opening Abaqus CAE);
    4. Add a tool of changing the view to YZ plane by one click;
    5. Add a tool of generating 9-node quadrilateral elements;
    6. Fix some bugs.
  15. Wenbin Yu

Su, thanks a lot for the update.

16. Anonymous

Hi,

I am trying to run an example problem  given in new manual of Abaqus-SwiftComp GUI 1.2. This is the simple square pack microstructure example given in section 2.2. I am following the same procedure given in the manual. I am applying the same load that is epsilon11 = 0.0009 and 2epsilon12 = 0.0009. But I am getting totally different results for SN11.  My peak value is also very different from the peak value given in manual. Could you please help me in this regard? I have attached a file with my contour in this thread.

Thanks in advance. 

17. Wenbin Yu

Bo should be able to help you figure out the problem. However, if you can list the exact steps and values your input for each step (using screenshot), it will be more helpful. 

18. Bo Peng

Thanks for posing this problem. I just checked the results and found that the results you generated are correct. I used a different macro strain e_23=0.0009 in the dehomogenization at the first time I prepared the manual, and forgot to update this picture. The dehomogenization of the inclusion enforced composite also has the same problem.

Best,

Bo