Close

Dear All, there are two channels for you to follow our research. 

1. We started a newsletter called Thoughts on Composites Modeling on LinkedIn. Please subscribe to it to get informed about our research and ideas we want to share with the community.

2. We moved our discussion forum to github at wenbinyugroup · Discussions · GitHub as it has more features which can serve you better. 

Wenbin 

Close

Forum

VABS Recovery: Failure Index Question

1. Dana Frye

Hello, 

I am running VABS via preVABS and I had a question regarding the reported values for "Failure Index" when the tsai-hill failure criteria is specified. I've gotten tripped up in the past due to Abaqus and Nastran reporting different values for the tsai-hill failure index. I was hoping to get confirmation, in preVABS/VABS, is the reported tsai-hill failure index calculated using the first formula or the second formula?

FI #1: σ112 / X2 - σ11*σ22 / X2 + σ222 / Y2 + σ122 / S2

or

FI #2: sqrt(σ112 / X2 - σ11*σ22 / X2 + σ222 / Y2 + σ122 / S2)

Cancel Report abuse

Replying to Dana Frye

1. Wenbin Yu

What you listed only works for plane-stress. What uses in VABS is for 3D stresses. Please see attached. 

For 3D stresses, we output failure index the same as your FI#1 for plane-stress. The strength ratio is the 1/FI#2 for plane-stress. 

Please let us know you other questions. Please also try iVABS (https://wenbinyugroup.github.io/ivabs/), many scripts you need to write yourself are also available in that package. 

Reply Report abuse

Replying to Wenbin Yu